Sunday, July 29, 2012

Some Serious Irony


I know I haven't been around that long, but the more I experience life, the more I recognize the beauty of the paradoxical situation that we live in. Here we are, a bunch of imperfect mortal people, putting forth our imperfect mortal effort, creating imperfect mortal situations, in an effort to become perfect immortal beings. Given our circumstances, it's a miracle that the everyday aspects of life turn out as well as they do. However, the fact that not only survival, but change and improvement are possible - that is the real miracle. How that happens, by what force change is made possible, is a life-altering truth and I feel that the discovery of truth of that magnitude should be a sacred and personal experience. But regardless of how it happens, it does happen. People change, reputations are restored, and true character is established. Somehow, all of our ragtag efforts and failed attempts lead to success. An unexpected, yet timely quote from Jane Austin's hero, Mr. Knightly, comes to mind: "Maybe it is our imperfections that make us so perfect for one another." - And so it is. 
One of my favorite quotes from the LDS cannon talks about how, if we are humble, God will make weak things become strong to us. Never, until this last weekend when I was talking to a friend, did I realize that God didn't say "I will change your weakness into strengths." He deliberately stated that he would "make weak things become strong." Consider the following anomalies:

"If he hath not charity, he is nothing. Wherefore, cleave unto charity which is the greatest of all for all things must fail but charity endureth forever." 
- Moroni, Sole survivor of genocide 
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." 
- Beethoven, deaf man
"[Physical] intimacy is a beautiful manifestation of two people being connected in a truly vulnerable, intimate manner because they love each other profoundly. It is beautiful and rich and fulfilling and spiritual and amazing.  The circumstances of our marriage allowed us to build a relationship that is based on everything partners should want: intimacy, communication, genuine love and affection."   
- Josh Weed, Heterosexually-married Gay Mormon
"It is terrible to see and have no vision. I can see, and that is why I can be happy. I can see a God-made world." 
 - Helen Keller, blind woman  
"I was very much afraid." 
- Joan of Arc, military commander of thousands, nineteen-year-old martyr 

Notice that in every one of those circumstances, God did not take away the individual's weakness. He didn't even change the weakness into something "stronger." God made the weak things become strong unto His children. 
Sometimes it is our fear that forces us to  take action. Sometimes it is the darkness that demands we take a step towards the light. Sometimes it is only in the silence that we can hear the voice of God. 
Would Helen Keller have been able to see a heaven-made world had not her eyes been darkend? Would Josh understand the power of true intimacy if he had been distracted by physical passion? Would Moroni have known so much about love if it had never been tested? 
Turns out there is no certain answer, only the choice of faith. Turns out that in the end, it is not our strengths that will get us to heaven, it is our weaknesses. And that my friends, is what I call some serious irony.

1 comment:

  1. When I am Weak...

    As I have studied the grace that we receive from Christ during mortality, I have been impressed by two scriptures. The first is in Ether 12:27:

    And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness, I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

    Notice here that the Lord promises to show unto us our "weakness" rather than "weaknesses". This is a very important distinction.

    Weaknesses
    Weaknesses are a natural part of being an imperfect mortal. These weaknesses take various forms from physical illness to emotional issues to spiritual problems. While there are some weaknesses that we may not be able to overcome, such as terminal cancer or blindness, we have the responsibility to be progressing in the things we can control. Many of our weaknesses are able to be overcome here in mortality.

    Weakness
    Recognizing our weakness is an important part of our spiritual development. Weakness, as the Savior uses in Ether, does not refer to our weaknesses but rather to our state of nothingness before God. Rather than being something that we try to overcome, it is something we should gratefully embrace. It turns out that coming to know our weakness is the key to spiritual strength.

    To illustrate this, let's examine the second scripture that has impressed me. It is found in 2 Corinthians 12:7-10. As you read, pay attention to the times that Paul feels strong.

    And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

    Our weaknesses can help us to see our dependence on God (Moses 1:10, John 9:41 , Luke 18:13, Alma 26:12 ,Alma 32:13). The extent to which we depend upon the Lord is the true measure of strength, because with his power we can do all things.

    When we come to see our weakness truly we are strong.

    Strength
    Willpower is only necessary when the thoughts of our brain and the desires of our heart disagree. Sometimes our mind wins the argument. Sometimes our heart wins out. Sometimes neither prevails and we are left in a sort of stalemate. Consider the example of a young man whose mind tells him to get his chores done but whose heart wants to go play with his friends. He ends up doing neither but sits on the couch watching tv, wishing he was with his friends and not motivated enough to knock out his chores. These stalemates happen all the time.

    The key to overcoming these predicaments is not complete self-denial nor complete self-indulgence. The answer is submitting mind and heart to Christ. When we truly understand that He is all-knowing and all-loving we come to trust His mind and His heart above our own. We discover that He is able to make our weak heart and weak mind and weak willpower strong. We cannot submit ourselves to him, however, until we acknowledge our weakness before him.

    I know that as we come unto Christ he will lovingly show unto us our weakness. His grace is sufficient to make weak things become strong unto us.

    ReplyDelete